The National Research Council of the Philippines, the country’s premier collegial body in research, recently elected its Officers for 2021-2022 and members of its Governing Board (GB). Dr. Gregorio E. H. del Pilar, UP Diliman psychology professor, will serve his second term as the NRCP’s 30th President.
Del Pilar as head of the Governing Board will lead over four thousand researchers dispersed across the country’s 17 regions. Now attached to the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), the Council consists of 13 Academic Divisions. Its brain power covers an array of disciplines, from the physical, life and earth sciences, to engineering, industry, and the social sciences, policy, and humanities.
The Officers were sworn in by DOST Secretary Fortunato T. de la Pena, regular member of NRCP Division VII (Engineering and Industrial Research) and also former NRCP President (2002-2007), at the Governing Board’s second virtual organizational meeting in March 2021.
The new NRCP Officers to serve until 31 March 2022 are:
- Gregorio E. H. del Pilar, re-elected President and chair of the NRCP Division VIII (Social Sciences), personality psychologist from UP Diliman
- Cristine D. Villagonzalo, new Vice President and re-elected chair of the NRCP Division IX (Physics), theoretical solid-state physicist from the University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman
- Hope Sabanpan-Yu, Corporate Secretary and re-elected chair of the NRCP Division XI (Humanities), who also is the Director of the Cebuano Studies Center of the University of San Carlos and chair of the NCCA National Committee on Literary Arts
- Ramon Christian P. Eusebio, new Council Treasurer and the chair of the NRCP Division VII (Engineering and Industrial Research), an expert on Environmental Engineering and Biotechnology and UP Los Banos associate professor
The Governing Board also recently appointed assistant officers, completing its Executive Committee:
- Maria Paz E. Morales, NRCP Division I (Governmental, Educational, and International Policies) chair and Philippine Normal University education professor, as council Assistant Corporate Secretary
- Jomar F. Rabajante, incumbent NRCP Member-at-Large, and UP Los Baños Graduate School dean and mathematics professor, as council Assistant Treasurer
Also inducted recently are the new and re-elected members of its NRCP Governing Board during the Council’s Annual Scientific Conference and 88th General Membership Assembly held also virtually on 10 March 2021. They are:
- Aimee Lynn Barrion-Dupo, new NRCP Member-at-Large, Faculty Regent at the University of the Philippines, and biologist-taxonomist at the UP Los Banos
- Marian P. de Leon, new chair of the NRCP Division V (Biological Sciences), a microbiologist and curator at the UP Los Banos Museum of Natural History
- Karlo L. Queano, new chair of the NRCP Division XII (Earth and Space Sciences), and geologist at the Ateneo de Manila University
- Rio John T. Ducusin, new chair of the NRCP Division XIII (Veterinary Medicine), a veterinary internal medicine specialist and professor from UP Los Banos
- Fidel R. Nemenzo, re-elected Chair for the NRCP Division II (Mathematical Sciences), current UP Diliman Chancellor and mathematics professor
- Cristine D. Villagonzalo, new vice president, for the NRCP Division IX (Physics)
- Hope Sabanpan-Yu, new corporate secretary, for the NRCP Division XI (Humanities)
Completing the 16-seat NRCP Governing Board are the following NRCP Division Chairs:
- Leslie Michelle M. Dalmacio, NRCP Division of Medical Sciences, UP Manila professor and microbiologist
- Erna C. Arollado, NRCP Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, professor and Director at the UP Manila Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Renato S.A. Vega, NRCP Division of Agriculture and Forestry, animal science professor the UP Los Banos
- Dr. Maribel G. Nonato, NRCP Division of Chemical Sciences, academician, organic chemist, and current Vice Rector for Research and Innovation at the University of Santo Tomas
The Members of the NRCP Governing Board (2021-2022), with DOST Secretary Fortunato T. de la Peña, Undersecretary for R&D Rowena Cristina Guevara (also DOST Representative to the NRCP Governing Board), and NRCP Executive Director Marieta Bañez Sumagaysay.
The Elected Officers of the NRCP Governing Board (2021-2022) take their oath administered by DOST Secretary Fortunato T. de la Peña during the Governing Board’s second virtual organizational meeting on 23 March 2021 via Zoom.